A vine appears to have hitched a ride on a giant old elm tree.
Adair county, Iowa
Possible Guiding, Compelling and/or Anchoring Questions
- In the picture of the vine and the elm tree, the vine appears to be hitching a ride on the tree. Is the vine simply climbing at the same rate as the tree is growing?
- If that is the case, would the vine be the same age as the tree it is growing on?
- If the elm tree in the picture is 60 years old, does that mean that the vine is also 60 years old?
- Why would the vine be climbing/growing up with the tree?
- Build a bridge out of cut-down vine segments.
- Challenge your students, using a reflection journal, to consider these questions:
- Are the vine and the tree growing at the same rate?
- Why would the vine want to grow up, up, up with the tree?
- Why does the vine not just simply grow on the ground?
- Are the vines native to Iowa?
- Is the vine harming the tree in any way?
- Would you consider the vine an invasive species?
- Would you consider the vine a parasitic species?
Iowa Core Alignment
Disciplinary Core Idea
LS1: From Molecules to Organisms: Structures and Processes
Submitted by Marcus Patten