Cordova Observation Tower: Longest Continuous Fiberglass Staircase in the World
The Cordova Tower is the tallest observation tower in a public park in the Midwest. The observation deck measures 106 feet tall. With 170 steps to reach the top it also features the longest continuous fiberglass staircase in the world.
Possible Guiding, Compelling and/or Anchoring Questions
- How did the engineers build the staircase to the observation deck?
- How did the engineers make the fiberglass staircase to be so sturdy?
- Why did they choose to build the tower here?
- Why did they choose to build the staircase with fiberglass instead of any other material?
- Is the tower strong enough to survive the elements of Iowa? (high winds, rain, snow)
- Lead students to understand a real life design challenge and how the engineers constructed the longest continuous fiberglass staircase in the world right here in Iowa!
Iowa Core Alignment
Submitted by Miika Busick