Ecosystem Restoration: Oak Savanna
A restored oak savanna in Central Iowa.
Possible Guiding, Compelling and/or Anchoring Questions
- How have humans impacted ecosystems?
- Why is an oak savanna an important ecosystem?
- How can we maintain the diversity of an ecosystem?
- Research areas where an ecosystem was restored and create a presentation.
- Create a prairie area at your school.
- Create a partnership between your classroom and your county conservation or DNR officer to help with ecosystem restoration at a county or state park.
- The Iowa Chapter of The Wildlife Society: This article describes oak savanna restoration in Iowa.
- Oak Savannas: This website describes characteristics, restoration and long-term management of oak savannas.
- Iowa Department of Natural Resources: This brochure provides information on the Iowa Bur Oak Savanna Project.
- Oak Savanna at the Neal Smith Wildlife Refuge: This article provides information from the US Fish & Wildlife Service website on the oak savanna restoration at Neal Smith National Wildlife Refuge in Iowa.
Iowa Core Alignment
Submitted by Karla St. John and Amber Fairbanks as part of their Iowa STEM Teacher Externship experience at Iowa PBS.
Location courtesy of Metro Waste Authority.
Media produced by Iowa PBS.