This low-head dam is located in Waverly, Iowa. In the picture you can see how the dam diverts the amount of water flowing down the river.
Possible Guiding, Compelling and/or Anchoring Questions
- What are the benefits of having dams in place?
- What possible negative effects could dams have on the ecosystems around them?
- How do dams prevent weather-related hazards like floods?
- What could be other ways we could prevent weather-related hazards?
- Looking into what dams do
- Look into the different types of dams
- Understand the considerations engineers must make when designing a dam.
- Types of Dams: This article focused on the different parts of dam and how they work.
- Hydroelectric Power: How it Works: This article talks about how we pull energy from dams like the one in the photo.
- Dams 101 for Kids: This is a kid-friendly overview of what dams are, the history of them and fun activities related to dams.
- Why Do We Build Dams: This is an article that has a video talking about why we build dams and a summary about why they are necessities.
Iowa Core Alignment3-ESS3-1:
Make a claim about the merit of a design solution that reduces the impacts of a weather-related hazard.
Submitted by Brooke McCoy