Wind Farm Controversy
This video shows the 2019 debate surrounding the building of wind farms in Madison County, Iowa.
Possible Guiding, Compelling and/or Anchoring Questions
- Why are people upset about having wind farms in their area?
- How common is wind energy common in Iowa? Why might this be?
- How can wind energy be expanded while balancing the environment or people’s interests?
- Research and identify the wants and needs of different stakeholders in wind energy.
- List and prioritize criteria for and constraints on electricity generation in Iowa.
- Analyze wind energy in light of criteria and constraints and compare to other electricity sources.
- Investigate where and how a student’s home or a school’s electricity is generated and whether similar controversies around wind energy or other generation modes exist in their area.
- KCCI: Madison County residents plead for end to windmill construction: KCCI’s story on the same controversy.
- Iowa Environmental Council: Wind Energy: Information on wind energy in Iowa, including links to fact and data sheets.
- US Department of Energy Office of Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy: Wind Energy in Iowa: Data and publications on wind energy in Iowa.
- Des Moines Register: Wind blows by coal to become Iowa’s largest source of electricity: News article that discusses pros and cons of Iowa’s heavy use of wind.
- Iowa Public Radio: As Wind Energy Thrives, So Does Its Waste Problem: News article that discusses another challenge of heavy reliance on wind energy.
- US Energy Information Administration: Electricity explained - Electricity in the United States: Information on electricity generation in the United States and different sources’ advantages and disadvantages.
Iowa Core Alignment
Media produced for Market to Market by Iowa PBS.
Submitted by Dan Voss and Madison Beeler as part of their Iowa STEM Teacher Externship experience at Iowa PBS.